Monday, April 23, 2012

Music Monday: Tainted Love

I give you a blended MM this week.  This is both the life of a song and a Get This Song Stuck in your Co-Workers' Heads.

I've always heard that Soft Cell's Tainted Love was a cover, but until the other day I had never bothered to find and listen to the original.  Wow, what a mistake.  The original is a great song. You can hear what Soft Cell's producers heard, and see where their take on it came from.  A slight change in emphasis and some modern (for then) additions and you get the song we all know.  (I am going to cheat a bit and give you the slightly longer cut of the song.)



The version we are most familiar with is the epitome of an earworm.  It gets lodged into your head, or a co-worker's, or a family member's, or a class-mate's...




It is also inspiration for one of the best commercials, which I did not realize was a Spike Jonze creation.



I hope you sing this song all day to yourself and I hope you pass on the original version.

Thanks for reading,
Your tainted blogger,
Pip


blog comments powered by Disqus