Monday, June 22, 2009

Music Monday: Ukulele Beatles 19-22

In my absence I have decided to tighten this series up a bit by grouping the themes better.  Starting with lumping a month worth of Beatles on Ukulele together.

Have I mentioned that these Beatles tunes are sung by different artists and that they record the vocals, send them into the ukulele guys and then the Ukulele and other instruments are added?  It is an amazing process, and I cannot believe how effective it is.

Hold Me Tight
Listen
Read

Musically this song is a success. Lyrically, embarrassing.

What’s going on here?

The contrast between the Beatles STD-riddled, licentious and voluptuous pill popping real lives, and the lyrics of their early teenage puppy love songs, was vast. I believe this cognitive dissonance was a central facet of their initial appeal.



Polythene Pam
Listen
Read

Lennon was a pro. He wrote for a living, on a deadline. He preferred inspiration, like all sensible artists, but he did not rely on it. That’s because inspiration is for amateurs.



Blackbird
Listen
Read

Modern gender political correctness did not exist in1968. Black “bird” is like saying black “chick”. Bird is British slang for girls. I wish that slang had caught on in America. Girls are birdlike, small, delicate, nervous, colorful, and beautiful. And they never stop chattering.



Maxwell's Silver Hammer
Listen
Read

While it may not be the very worst Beatle song ever, it is the worst one ever written by Paul.

The other three Beatles hated it as well. They were right to do so. John called it the “corny number” while they rehearsed it during the Let It Be/Get Back Sessions. To make matters worse, Paul used ridiculous amounts of studio time to try to polish this turd, annoying George Martin and the other Beatles in the process. To no avail.


Come back next week, where I may or may not be done with my list of songs that I always start singing to myself at work.
blog comments powered by Disqus