Monday, April 20, 2009

Music Monday: New Rancid

New Rancid.  What do you think??  Yes, Rancid trumps Beatles on Ukulele.




Yellow Submarine, sung by a children's choir, accompanied by a ukulele.   Read the essay!

New Rancid also is a good segue into something important to me.  15 years ago I got into 4 bands over the course of one month.  Rancid, Pennywise, Offspring, and Green Day.  Al just before they made it.  Yes Pennywise never made it big, but the other three and especially the albums that got me hooked on them will always have a place in my heart.  So a song from each of those albums is in order.

Rancid: I Am the One



From their self titled debut album.  I fell in love with this album the first time I heard it back in 1994.  It was a tape copy of the CD (I'm an old school pirate!) that my friend gave me at work one day.  I fell in love with the band before I heard the album.  Said friend spoke the magic words to me, "Some of the guys from Operation Ivy started a new band".  Done.


Offspring: Kick Him When He's Down



From Ignition.   I love this album.  I could listen and listen to it over and over.  And I did.  When they hit it big it was cool, heck everyone had Smash and it was a good album.  What came next is what hurt.  They became a gimmick band.  They forgot they were punks.  They lost their edge and that's ok.   Their latest album however is horrible and the three songs they had playing on the radio at the same time sucked.  So bad that all I ever did was turn the station.  I still have Smash and Ignition and neither will ever get removed from my heart.


Green Day: Who Wrote Holden Caulfield?



From Kerplunk.  I am glad I found a modern video of them playing this song straight.  Makes me feel good for still liking them.  I got Kerplunk a full two weeks before the first time I saw Longview on MTV (did you know they used to play videos!?!?!?).  The first time I saw that video, I thoguht this sounds like Green Day but different.  Yes, they sold out and became edgier and harder.  They sold out and ditched Emo.  Totally backwards.   Kerplunk and 1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours are two of my all-time favorite albums and always will be.  Even though I finally got the girl.

Pennywise: Unknown Road



From: Unknown Road.  A punk album that starts with a piano bit.  One of my favorite bands ever.  True, they have not changed one bit.  Same music now as then, but isn't a little purity a good thing?  The other three bands here have changed so much over the years, but not Pennywise.   Actually I have to say thanks that all four are still around and making music.  Truly a special and wonderful gift.   I met a guy that was into Pennywise more than me and he was thinking about getting some of their lyrics tattooed on his arm but, he could not pick, there were too many good lines to chose from.   Their cover of Stand By Me is a punk rock cover classic that you should check out for yourself.

I'd post Bro Hym but with personal things going right now, I'd cry.  And there's no crying in the Blogosphere.

Mid Nineties Punk will always be a part of me.  Hope you enjoyed a trip to 1994, my senior year of High School, this was the closest I'll get to a high school reunion.  Thank God!
blog comments powered by Disqus